Custody and Separation Policy
The BOM and Staff of Holy Family N.S. encourage parents experiencing separation to come and speak confidentially to the teachers and/or Principal. It is our aim to handle such matters with sensitivity and compassion, and ultimately, our primary concern is for the well-being and overall development of the child.
- When the child spends time in two homes, it is requested that the school be provided with both sets of emergency/contact numbers.
- Regarding the collection of children from school, it is requested that the school be informed of any changes in the collection arrangements by note.
- It is school policy to offer the option of separate parent/teacher meetings, if so desired (usually arranged in November).
- It is assumed that when we wish to communicate with parents regarding their child, the parent contacted (i.e. the parent with whom the child principally resides) will inform the other parent of meetings, arrangements etc. Special arrangements for separate communication can be accommodated.
- Regarding notes, school communication via schoolbags, school reports, etc.; it is assumed that the parent with whom the child principally resides will keep the other parent informed.
- In the absence of a custody arrangement, both parents will be treated as equal partners in terms of parenting rights and responsibilities.
- The school cannot be asked to withhold a child from either parent, in the absence of a custody arrangement or court order.
- The BOM and staff of Holy Family N.S. will endeavour at all times to deal sensitively and caringly with children experiencing separation.